A HIMSS Organization
Personal Connected Health Alliance
- Strategic Plan - Our strategic plan supports the belief that health is personal and extends beyond healthcare.
- Manifesto - Discover the principles that guide our mission to help people make health and wellness an effortless part of their daily life
- Continua Design Guidelines - Recognized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) as the international standard for safe, secure, and reliable exchange of data to and from personal health devices. Download the latest version of CDG 2017 with FHIR.
Continua Adoption Playbook (May 2017): An overview of how countries and regions are advancing telehealth and mHealth services in their health systems on the basis of agreed standards including the Continua Design Guidelines, with case studies on Denmark, Norway, Austria and Sweden, and recommendations.
White Papers & Case Studies
- NEW! Personal Connected Health Global Policy Priorities (November 2017): Personal Connected Health Global Policy Priorities outlines the main policy opportunities and challenges facing personal connected health today, and offers insights into future actions for engagement in policy and advocacy.
- Background, Proceedings, and Outlook from the Canada-US Connected Health Workshop (Septeber 2017): The Canada-US Connected Health Workshop assembled more that eighty participants from multiple disciplines and sectors in both countries to discuss regulatory and policy coordination in connected health. This report summarizes the workshop discussions, while providing rationale and recommendations for greater cross-border cooperation in the regulation of digital health technology.
- Personal Connected Health: The State of the Evidence and a Call to Action (September 2017): This publication aims to set an initial baseline for the current body of evidence in personal connected health in key areas, namely behavior change and self-care, remote patient monitoring, remote counseling and mental health, as well as more broadly through key condition-specific studies.
- Accelerating Precision Medicine: Potential and Key Barriers Related to Policy & Technology (June 2017): This paper was the result of the Accelerating Precision Medicine program, sponsored by Intel and hosted at the Personal Connected Health Alliance’s 2016 Connected Health Conference. The paper focuses on the technology and policy barriers to accelerating precision medicine.
- We Are All In This Together: Advancing eHealth Interoperability (May 2017): This paper provides health policy makers with the tools to build a productive partnership with their IT teams to jointly develop a successful integrated care model. It was jointly developed and published by COCIR (the European health IT industry association), IHE Europe, and the PCHAlliance.
- Fundamentals of Data Exchange (October 2017): This white paper provides a basic description of sensors, gateways, and end services, of the data that is exchanged between them, and of the added value that Continua Design Guidelines provide compared to and beyond the referenced standards, to make implementations truly interoperable.
- Achieving Interoperability As Healthcare Embraces Mobility (December 2016): A white paper on the history of Continua, published on the ten-year anniversary of the founding of the Continua Health Alliance in 2006, which is today part of the PCHAlliance. The paper looks at the group’s history, industry challenges and its value to the industry as it continues to push the interoperability cause in the years ahead.
- Building the Case for Interoperability and Personal Connected Health (December 2016): Description of the Disaster Cardiovascular Prevention Network (D-CAP) set up to remotely monitor the blood pressure of evacuees displaced by the 2011 tsunami in Japan. Five years later researchers found lasting health benefits, published in The Journal of Clinical Hypertension.
- NEW! A Healthy Understanding? Global Attitudes to Health (May 2017): This international survey by Ipsos examines major themes in health including the Worried Well, Aging, obesity but also the strengthening of health systems.
- The Future of Connected Health Infographic (May 2017): This infographic summarizes the results of an international survey of physicians on the topic of connected health. Topics included patient generated health data and remote patient monitoring.
- What is Personal Connected Health? An Ecosystem's Perspective Defining Personal Connected Health (April 2017): For the past year, PCHAlliance engaged with more than 50 thought leaders from around the world, to gain their perspective and vision for the future of this new field. Through this process, several themes emerged, as well as a better understanding of the driving forces propelling the growth of personal connected health.
- Ipsos Healthcare Report (March 2017): This infographic summaries the results of an international survey of consumers on adoption of connected health and devices. It also takes a deep dive into attitudes of people with diabetes and connected health.
- NEW! HIMSS and PCHAlliance comment on Quality Payment Program Year 2 NPRM (August 22, 2017) In a letter to Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator, Seema Verma, HIMSS and PCHAlliance joined together in offering comments to the CY 2018 Updates to the Quality Payment Program (QPP) Notice of Proposed Rule-Making (NPRM).
- PCHAlliance Response to NQF Telehealth Measurement (June 29, 2017): The National Quality Forum requested comments on a Telehealth Framework to Support Measure Development. PCHAlliance comments represent our collective members’ perspective with a focus on the need for expanded delivery of chronic care management to the beneficiaries of Medicare and Medicaid. Because of the importance of remote patient monitoring in chronic care management, PCHAlliance urges robust and timely deployment of quality measures of remote monitoring AND telehealth services to promote high quality, patient centric care using proven information technology
- PCHAlliance Response to FCC on Broadband (June 8, 2017): HIMSS and PCHAlliance respond to request for comments by the Federal Communication Commission on Actions to Accelerate Adoption and Accessibility of Broadband-Enabled Health Care Solutions and Advanced Technologies. Both strongly support flexibility throughout the systems and regulations governing broadband access to support health IT solutions particularly in rural areas.
- HIMSS and PCHAlliance Response to ONC White Paper on PGHD (May 8, 2017): In response to a request for comments on this document “Conceptualizing a Data Infrastructure for the Capture, Use, and Sharing of Patient-Generated Health Data (PGHD) in Care Delivery and Research through 2024”. Overall, HIMSS and PCHAlliance offer our support of the White Paper with its emphasis on the potential to improve practitioner productivity by augmenting traditional patient questionnaires and review of systems with sophisticated integrated data collection through new personal health devices as well as legacy medical devices. But the organizations also have some recommendations for near term and long term goals.
- The Evolution of Patient Engagement-Rethinking How to Best Engage Patients: Curated content from the HIMSS17 Conference on Patient Engagement
Connected Health and Telemedicine-The Future of Care Delivery: Curated content from the HIMSS17 Conference on Connected Care and Telemedicine.